MakeRiga is a Makerspace in Riga with laser cutter, various 3D printers, and other tools for making great things!
Laser Cutter notes
- Settings: Laser at 50%/100%
- Software Lasercut 5.3
|Pressed cardboard 4mm||25||80||25|
Design with Sketchup
I like to make designs in Sketchup and then export to svg/dxf for the laser cutting plotter.
- Make Sketchyp design. Keep the final details in one plane.
- Save as SVG file. One way is to use "Export to SVG" plugin. Note, that the number 161 could be different for you.
Menu -> Edit -> 161 Entities -> Export to SVG file
- Enter the output file path
- Export Face(s) as: Paths
- Measurements: Millimeters
- Open the SVG file in Inkscape
- Edit as needed (move for a better fit, add/convert text to paths)
File -> Save as:Desktop Cutting Plotter (AutoCAD DXF R14)(*.dxf)
- Choose "Base unit" as PX (do not choose mm!)
- use LWPOLYLINE type of line output
- (Optional) Open with LibreCAD for verification of the DXF file. Measure some dimensions as needed to make sure.
- Open the DXF with the Laser cutter software, move to the print area, arrange as needed, and download to the Laser cutter.