Leo Selavo CV
Leo Selavo, Curriculum Vitae
- Name: Leo Selavo
- Email: leo.selavo at gmail.com
Interdisciplinary research and development that positively changes the world. My focus is on wireless sensor networks and Internet of Things (WSN/IoT): the enabling technologies for pervasive and unobtrusive "macroscope," the applications, and the way they change the world and humanity, specifically, sensory data gathering and analysis with applications to sports, entertainment, digital healthcare and intelligent transportation systems, prototyping platforms and embedded operating systems, directional communication, and effective IoT applications.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Pittsburgh, USA, 2004.
- M.S. in Computer Science, University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia, 1994.
- Diploma in Mathematics, University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia, 1993.
- J. Sokolovska, K. Ostrovska, L. Pahirko, G. Varblane, K. Krilatiha, A. Cirulnieks, I. Folkmane, V. Pirags, J. Valeinis, A. Klavina, L. Selavo, "Impact of Interval Walking Training Managed Through Smart Mobile Devices on Albuminuria and Leptin/Adiponectin Ratio in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes," Physiological Reports (Journal), Wiley, DOI: 10.14814/phy2.14506, 2020.
- G. Strazdins, L. Selavo, "Wireless Sensor Network Software Design Rules", Baltic Journal of Modern Computing, VOL. 2(2014) NO. 2, 2014.
- A. Elsts, A. Mednis, L.Selavo, "Bayesian Network Approach to Vehicle Mode Monitoring Using Embedded System with 3-axis Accelerometer," International Journal of Imaging and Robotics 01/2014; 12(1):67-80.
- G. Strazdins, A. Elsts, K. Nesenbergs, L. Selavo, "Wireless Sensor Network Operating System Design Rules Based on Real-World Deployment Survey", Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks. 2013; 2(3):509-556.
- I. Bilinskis, L.Selavo, K. Sudars, "Method for Sensor Data Alias-free Acquisition from Wideband Signal Sources and their Assymetric Compression-Reconstruction", Baltic Journal of Modern Computing, VOL. 1(2013) NO. 3-4, 2013.
- A. Elsts, G. Strazdins, A. Vihrov, L. Selavo, "Design and Implementation of MansOS: a Wireless Sensor Network Operating System," Scientific Papers, University of Latvia, volume 787, pp 79–105, 2012.
- A. Severdaks, G. Supols, M. Greitans, L. Selavo. "Wireless Sensor Network for Distributed Measurement of Electrical Field," Elektronika ir Elektrotechnika, 2011. No. 1(107). pp. 7–10, 2011.
- JeongGil Ko, Jong Hyun Lim, Yin Chen, Razvan Musaloiu-E., Andreas Terzis, Gerald Masson, Tia Gao, Walt Destler, Leo Selavo “MEDISN: Medical Emergency Detection in Sensor Networks,” ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS), Special Issue on Wireless Health Systems, 2009.
- A. Wood, J. Stankovic, G. Virone, L. Selavo, Z. He, Q. Cao, T. Doan, Y. Wu, L. Fang, R. Stoleru, “Context-Aware Wireless Sensor Networks for Assisted-Living and Residential Monitoring,” IEEE Network, 2008.
- T. Gao, T. Massey, L. Selavo, D. Crawford, B. Chen, K. Lorincz, V. Shnayder, L. Hauenstein, F. Dabiri, J. Jeng, A. Chanmugam, D. White, M. Sarrafzadeh, M. Welsh. "The Advanced Health and Disaster Aid Network: A Light-weight Wireless Medical System for Triage." IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems (IEEE Trans. TBCAS), Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 203-216. Sept. 2007.
- L. Selavo, “Wireless Sensor Networks,” E-World Journal (e-Pasaule, in Latvian) Riga, Latvia, August 2005.
- L. Selavo, “GPS Principles, Applications, and Entertainment,” E-World Journal (e-Pasaule, in Latvian) Riga, Latvia, November 2004.
- L. Selavo, “Data Storage of the Future,” E-World Journal (e-Pasaule, in Latvian) Riga, Latvia, October 2004.
- L. Selavo, “Pyramidal Memory Architecture,” E-World Journal (e-Pasaule, in Latvian) Riga, Latvia, April 2004.
- Sate J., Selavo L. "Performance and Implementation Modeling of Gated Linear Networks on FPGA for Lossless Image Compression," proceedings of The 9th Mediterranean Conference on Embedded Computing (MECO'2020), 2020.
- Sokolovska, J., L. Sviklane, K. Ostrovska, A. Klavina, J. Stefanovics, and L. Selavo. "Cardiorespiratory fitness is associated with markers of hepatic steatosis in patients with type 2 diabetes." In DIABETOLOGIA, vol. 61, pp. S585-S585. 233 SPRING ST, NEW YORK, NY 10013 USA: SPRINGER, 2018.
- Sviklane L., Ostrovska K., Stirans K., Klavina A., Stefanovics J., Selavo L., Kalva-Vaivode S., Sokolovska J., "Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Is Associated With Cardiorespiratory Fitness In Patients With Type 2 Diabetes," poster, proceedings of the 13th Congress of the Central European Diabetes Association/33rd International Danube Symposium, 14-16 June, 2018. (abstract)
- L. Selavo, D. Vyas, M. Yahyazadeh, O. Chipara „PHASER - A Phase-Shifting Antenna for Low-Power Directional Communication,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS 2017), 2018. (PDF)
- A. Hermanis, R. Cacurs, K. Nesenbergs, M. Greitans, E. Syundyukov, L. Selavo, „Wearable Sensor System for Human Biomechanics Monitoring,” Proceedings of the 2016 International Conference on Embedded Wireless Systems and Networks, pp 247-248, 2016.
- R. Ruskuls, D. Lapsa, L. Selavo, "EDI WSN Testbed: Multifunctional, 3D Wireless Sensor Network Testbed", In Proceedings of Advances in Wireless and Optical Communications (RTUWO 2015), Riga, Latvia, 5-6 November, 2015.
- K. Nesenbergs, L. Selavo, "Smart textiles for wearable sensor networks: review and early lessons," Medical Measurements and Applications (MeMeA) 2015 Conference on, Torino, Italy, 7-9 May 2015.
- L. Selavo, I. Drikis, A. Mednis, R. Balass, "DiStAL: Digitally Steerable Antennas for Localization," Technical report, Microsoft Indoor Localization Competition, 2015.
- A. Hermanis, R. Cacurs, K. Nesenbergs, M. Greitans, E. Syundyukov, L. Selavo, „Wearable sensor grid architecture for body posture and surface detection and rehabilitation,” Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (ACM/IEEE IPSN), pp 414-415, CPSWEEK, Seattle, USA, April 13-16, 2015.
- Dimitrios Lymberopoulos and the participants of Microsoft Indoor localization Competition 2014, "A Realistic Evaluation and Comparison of Indoor Location Technologies: Experiences and Lessons Learned," The 14th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (ACM/IEEE IPSN), CPSWEEK, Seattle, USA, April 13-16, 2015.
- L. Selavo, I. Drikis, A. Mednis. "Localization Using Digitally Steerable Antennas," Technical report, Microsoft Indoor Localization Competition, 2014.
- K. Nesenbergs, L. Selavo, "A distributed data processing architecture for real time intelligent transport systems," Informatics and Applications (ICIA),2013 Second International Conference on, vol., no., pp.155,160, 23-25 Sept. 2013.
- A. Elsts, J. Judvaitis, L. Selavo, "SEAL: A Domain-Specific Language for Novice Wireless Sensor Network Programmers," Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA 2013), 39th EUROMICRO Conference on, vol., no., pp.220,227, 4-6 Sept. 2013.
- A. Elsts, R. Balass, J. Judvaitis and L. Selavo, "SAD: Wireless Sensor Network System for Microclimate Monitoring in Precision Agriculture." In Proceedings of the 5-th international scientific conference Applied information and communication technologies (AICT 2012), pages 271–281, 2012.
- A. Elsts and L. Selavo, "A User-Centric Approach to Wireless Sensor Network Programming Languages." In Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Software Engineering for Sensor Network Applications (SESENA’12), pages 29–30, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- R. Ruskuls, G. Strazdins, and L. Selavo, "Accurate Sensor Node Energy Consumption Estimation Using EdiMote Prototyping Platform", in The 3rd International Workshop on Networks of Cooperating Objects (CONET’12), Electronic Proceedings, 2012.
- A. Mednis, A. Elsts, L. Selavo, “Embedded Solution for Road Condition Monitoring Using Vehicular Sensor Networks”, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Application of Information and Communication Technologies (AICT 2012), pp. 248-252, 2012. IEEE eXpress Conference Publishing, 2012.
- A. Mednis, G. Kanonirs, and L. Selavo, "Adaptive Vehicle Mode Monitoring using Embedded Devices with Accelerometers," in Special Sessions proceedings of 10th International Conference on Practical Applications of Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (PAAMS 2012), Salamanca, Spain, March, 2012.
- A. Elsts, J. Judvaitis, L. Selavo, "Poster Abstract: SEAL: An Easy-to-use Sensor Node Application Development System", in proceedings of European Conference of Wireless Sensor Networks (EWSN 2012), Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Trento, Italy, Febrauary, 2012.
- A. Elsts, R. Balass, J. Judvaitis, R. Zviedris, G. Strazdins, L. Selavo and A. Mednis, "SADmote: A Robust and Cost-Effective Device for Environmental Monitoring," in proceedings of the conference on Architecture of Computing Systems (ARCS 2012), Muenchen, Germany, February 28, 2012.
- G. Strazdins, A. Mednis, G. Kanonirs, R. Zviedris, and L. Selavo, “Towards Vehicular Sensor Networks with Android Smartphones for Road Surface Monitoring,” in The Second International Workshop on Networks of Cooperating Objects (CONET’11), Electronic Proceedings of CPSWeek'11, 2011.
- A. Mednis, G. Strazdins, R. Zviedris, G. Kanonirs, and L. Selavo, "Real Time Pothole Detection using Android Smartphones with Accelerometers," Proc. of International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems and Workshops (DCOSS'11), 2011
- G. Strazdins, A. Mednis, R. Zviedris, G. Kanonirs, and L. Selavo, “Virtual Ground Truth in Vehicular Sensing Experiments: How to Mark it Accurately,” in The 5th International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications (SENSORCOMM 2011), (Nice, France), pp. 295–300, August 2011.
- A. Severdaks, G. Supols, M. Greitans, L. Selavo. "Wireless Sensor Network for Distributed Measurement of Electrical Field," Electronics and Electrical Engineering. – Kaunas: Technologija, 2011. No. 1(107). pp. 7–10.
- Artis Mednis, Girts Strazdins, Martins Liepins, Andris Gordjusins and Leo Selavo, “RoadMic: Road Surface Monitoring Using Vehicular Sensor Networks with Microphones,” Communications in Computer and Information Science, 1, Volume 88, Networked Digital Technologies (NDT (2) 2010), Part 8, Pages 417-429, 2010., Springer.
- Karlis Prieditis, Ivars Drikis, and Leo Selavo, “SAntArray: passive element array antenna for wireless sensor networks,” In Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys'10). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 433-434, 2010.
- Girts Strazdins, Atis Elsts, and Leo Selavo, “MansOS: easy to use, portable and resource efficient operating system for networked embedded devices,” In Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys'10), ACM, New York, NY, USA, 427-428, 2010.
- Rinalds Ruskuls and Leo Selavo, “EdiMote: A Flexible Sensor Node Prototyping and Profiling Tool,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2010, Volume 6511, Real-World Wireless Sensor Networks (REALWSN'10), Pages 194-197, 2010, Springer.
- Reinholds Zviedris, Atis Elsts, Girts Strazdins, Artis Mednis and Leo Selavo, “LynxNet: Wild Animal Monitoring Using Sensor Networks,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2010, Volume 6511, Real-World Wireless Sensor Networks (REALWSN'10), Pages 170-173, 2010, Springer.
- A. Skripko, P. Skripko, A. Gailitis, L. Selavo, "RF-based node system for blind navigation in running activities," International Conference on Signals and Electronic Systems (ICSES'2008), Krakov, Poland, September 17, 2008.
- A. Wood, L. Selavo, J. Stankovic, “SenQ: An Embedded Query System for Streaming Data in Heterogeneous Interactive Wireless Sensor Networks,” The 4th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS), Santorini Island, Greece, June 7, 2008.
- JeongGil Ko, Razvan Musaloiu-Elefteri, Jong Hyun Lim, Yin Chen, Andreas Terzis, Tia Gao, Walt Destler, Leo Selavo, “MEDiSN: medical emergency detection in sensor networks,” SenSys'08 - Proceedings of the 6th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SENSYS'08), pp. 361-362, 2008.
- JeongGil Ko, Yin Chen, Jong Hyun Lim, Razvan Musaloiu-E., Andreas Terzis, Tia Gao, Walt Destler, Leo Selavo. “Wireless Sensor Networks for Patient Monitoring.” Appeared in International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys) 2008. Breckenridge CO. June 2008.
- T. Gao, C. Pesto, L. Selavo, Y. Chen, J. Ko, J.Lim, A. Terzis, A. Watt, J. Jeng, B. Chen, K. Lorincz, M. Welsh, "Wireless Medical Sensor Networks in Emergency Response: Implementation and Pilot Results," IEEE Conference on Technologies for Homeland Security, Waltham, MA, May 12-13, 2008.
- A. Wood, L. Selavo, J. Stankovic, “SenQ: An Extensible Query System for Streaming Data in Heterogeneous Interactive Wireless Sensor Networks,” Technical Report CS-2008-1, Department of Computer Science, University of Virginia, 2008.
- L. Selavo, A. Wood, Q. Cao, A.V. Srinivasan, H. Liu, T. Sookoor, J.A. Stankovic “LUSTER: Wireless Sensor Network for Environmental Research,” the 5th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys’07), Sydney, Australia, November 6-8, 2007.
- J. Yang, M. Soffa, L. Selavo, K. Whitehouse, "Clairvoyant: a comprehensive source-level debugger for wireless sensor networks," the 5th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys’07), Sydney, Australia, November 6-8, 2007.
- H. Liu, L. Selavo, J.A. Stankovic, “SeeDTV: Deployment-Time Validation for Wireless Sensor Networks,” the Fourth Workshop on Embedded Networked Sensors (EmNets’07), June 25-26, 2007.
- T. Gao, T. Massey, L. Selavo, M. Welsh, “Participatory User Centered Design Techniques for a Large Scale Ad-Hoc Health Information System,” Proceedings of HealthNet07 (in conjunction with MobiSys 07), Puerto Rico, June 11, 2007.
- G. Mathiason, S.F. Andler, S.H. Son, L. Selavo, “Virtual Full Replication for Wireless Sensor Networks,” 19th Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS 07, WiP), Pisa, Italy, July 4-6, 2007.
- T. Gao, J. Jeng, L. Selavo, “Deployment of Self-configuring Wireless Devices at a Simulated Mass Casualty Incident,” American Burn Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA March 22-25, 2007.
- T. Gao, J. Jeng. L. Selavo, D. Crawofrd, P. Lunsford, B.R. Chen, K.Lorintz, M. Welsh, “Lifting the Fog of War: Ad-Hoc Wireless Mesh Network Sensors to Improve Situational Awareness during the Next Burn Mass Casualty,” American Burn Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, March 22-25, 2007.
- T. Gao, L. Selavo, B. Winters, “Improving Medical Response Teams with Continuous Monitoring,” Rapid Response Team Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, May 5-6, 2007.
- L. Selavo, G. Zhou, J.A. Stankovic, “SeeMote: In-Situ Visualization and Logging Device for Wireless Sensor Networks,” The Third International Conference on Broadband Communications, Networks and Systems, (BROADNETS 2006), San Jose, CA, 2006.
- T. Gao, T. Massey, W. Bishop, D. Bernstein, L. Selavo, A. Alm, D. White, and M. Sarrafzadeh, “Integration of Triage and Biomedical Devices for Continuous, Real-Time, Automated Patient Monitoring,” 3rd IEEE EMBS International Summer School and Symposium on Medical Devices and Biosensors (ISSS-MDBS). Boston, MA. 2006.
- G. Virone, A. Wood, L. Selavo, Q. Cao, L. Fang, T. Doan, Z. He, R. Stoleru, S. Lin, and J.A. Stankovic, “An Advanced Wireless Sensor Network for Health Monitoring,” D2H2, Arlington, Virginia, 2006.
- T. Massey, T. Gao, D. Bernstein, A. Husain, D. Crawford, D. White, L. Selavo, M. Sarrafzadeh. “Pervasive Triage: Towards Ubiquitous, Real-time Monitoring of Vital Signs for Pre-hospital Applications,” The 5th International Workshop on Ubiquitous Computing for Pervasive Healthcare Applications in conjunction with UbiComp'06 (UbiHealth'06), Irvine, CA, 2006.
- A. Klavina, L. Selavo, “Analyses of Instructional, Social and Physical Interaction in Physical Education (AISPI-PE),” In Proceedings of European Conference in Adapted Physical Activity, Olomouc, Czech Republic, September 7-9, 2006.
- A. Wood, G. Virone, T. Doan, Q. Cao, L. Selavo, Y. Wu, L. Fang, Z. He, S. Lin, J. Stankovic, “ALARM-NET: Wireless Sensor Networks for Assisted-Living and Residential Monitoring,” Technical Report CS-2006-11, Department of Computer Science, University of Virginia, 2006.
- L. Selavo, D.M. Chiarulli, S.P. Levitan, “Improved Data Density Using Dynamic Encoding in a 2-Photon Memory,” Integrated Photonics Research and Optics in Computing (IPR-OiC’2004), Engelberg, Switzerland, April 21-23, 2004.
- D.M. Chiarulli, J. Bakos, L. Selavo, S.P. Levitan, J. Hansson, M. Weisser, “Photonic Packaging for Mixed-Technology Sensor Systems,” Integrated Photonics Research and Optics in Computing (IPR-OiC’2004), Engelberg, Switzerland, April 21-23, 2004.
- A. Gupta, S.P. Levitan, L. Selavo, Donald M. Chiarulli, “High-Speed Optoelectronic Receivers in SiGe,” (Design Contest 2nd Place) 17th International Conference on VLSI Design 2004 (VLSI 2004), Mumbai, India, January 5-9, 2004.
- L. Selavo, D.M. Chiarulli, S.P. Levitan, “Smart Optical Transceiver Architecture,” Integrated Photonics Research and Optics in Computing (IPR-OC’2003), Washington D.C., June 16-20, 2003.
- L. Selavo, D.M. Chiarulli, S.P. Levitan, “Adaptive code modulation for 2D optical memories,“ 2002 International Symposium on Optical Memory and Optical Data Storage Topical Meeting, ISOM/ODS 2002, Technical Digest 1028625, pp. 231-233, July 7-11, 2002.
- L. Selavo, D.M. Chiarulli, S.P. Levitan, “Dynamic Data Encoding for Optical Page Oriented Memories,” International Topical Meeting on Optics in Computing (OC’2002), Taipei, Taiwan, April 8-11, 2002.
- L. Selavo, D.M. Chiarulli, S.P. Levitan, “Real-time Adaptive Encoding for 3D Optical Memories,” SPIE Annual Meeting Vol. 4459B-57, San Diego, CA, July 2001. L. Selavo, “Dynamic Encoding for Page Oriented Optical Memory,” Graduate student research competition, Department of Computer Science, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2001.
- L. Selavo, S.P. Levitan, D.M. Chiarulli, “An Optically Reconfigurable Field Programmable Gate Array,” OSA Spring Topical Meeting on Optics in Computing (OC’99), OThB2, pp. 146-148, Aspen, CO, April 12-16, 1999.
- L. Comfort, D. Metzler, Y. Sungu, M. Dunn, L. Selavo, K. Brown, J. Myung, “An Interactive Intelligent Spatial Information System (IISIS) for Disaster Management: A Community Model for Hazardous Material Management,” Proceedings of the Environmental Systems Research Institute's User Conference, Palm Springs, CA, July 27- 31, 1998.
- US20090069642 Wearable Wireless Electronic Patient Data Communications and Physiological Monitoring Device, 03-12-2009.
- US20080228045 Multiprotocol Wireless Medical Monitors and Systems, (Assignee: SELAVO L, Inventors: GAO T; SELAVO L), 09-18-2008.
- WO2009036150 Wearable wireless communication device for transmitting patient data, has processor that determines whether patient data input and output units are in active state based on set of configuration instructions. (Assignee: AID NETWORKS LLC, Inventors: GAO T; SELANIKIO J; SELAVO L), 05-22-2009.
- "Where Real and Digital Worlds Converge, the State of the Art in Computer Science," a conference for all teachers of Latvia, 2020.
- "Tools for Remote Work," a conference for municipalities on technologies during the pandemic, 2020.
- "Virtual trainer for Type 2 Diabetes Patients", invited presentation for the patrons and friends of University of Latvia Fund, March 28, 2019.
- "Digital Health", Discover new business opportunities. Discover Latvia. Business Forum, invited keynote, June 20, 2018.
- "When the house is smarter than the host" (LV: "Kad māja ir gudrāka par saimnieku"), Lampa Festival, Panel discussion, MĀJVIETA (Digital Freedom Festival), July 1, 2017.
- "Merging science and entrepreneurship - how not to loose scientific excellence and economical soundness" (LV: "Zinātnes un uzņēmējdarbības tuvināšanās – kā nezaudēt zinātnisko izcilību un ekonomisko izdevīgumu?") Panel discussion, Lampa Festival, LIAA TELTS, June 30, 2017.
- "Artificial Intelligence. The risks and advantages for humanity," Invited panel discussion, Fraternitas Livonica, Riga, May 2017.
- "Where is the End of Internet of Things," EBIT'2017 the Conference for Managers and Entrepreneurs, Riga, Latvia, April 5, 2017.
- "IoT as a Nervous System for Humanity," Programmers Day Conference, Riga, Latvia, February 17, 2017.
- "Internet of Things, Humans, or a Nervous System for Humanity," 75. Annual Conference of the University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia, January 23, 2017.
- "A Few Keywords for Young Entrepreneurs," Summer School for Young Entrepreneurs, Madona, Latvia, August 23, 2016.
- "Identity Crisis in Virtual Worlds," The 8th International Conference on Cyber Conflict, Tallinn, Estonia, May 28, 2015.
- "Research and Wireless Sensor Systems" - summer school "Alpha" for gifted high school students. / "Pētniecība un bezvadu sensoru sistēmas" - vasaras skola "Alfa" vidusskolas olimpiāžu un zinātnisko darbu laureātiem. 2014, 2015.
- "Healthcare: from Pixels to Picture," TEDx Riga, June 12, 2014.
- "Opportunities for collaboration," Global China Business Meeting, Riga, Latvia, November 28, 2012.
- "Smart Sensors and Networks," Science Cafe, Riga, Latvia, 2012.
- "Team Latvia at the Grand Cooperative Driving Challenge," 8th International Automotive Congress.NL, 2011, Eindhoven, Netherlands, 2011.
- "Scientists and Entrepreneurs – differences and collaboration," Business Forum, Investment and Development Agency of Latvia (LIAA), Riga, Latvia, 2010.
- "Embedded Systems (in Latvia?)," Accenture meeting, Riga, Latvia, May 10, 2010.
- "Wireless Sensor Networks for Mass Causality Preparedness," Mass casualties and Health care (MASH) workshop, San Sebastian, Spain, May 6, 2010.
- University of Latvia, Faculty of Computing, Professor, 2011-present.
- AGT International, Germany. IoT Architect at the R&D department, 2017-2018.
- University of Iowa, USA. Department of Computer Science. Associate Research Scientist, 2015-2016.
- Institute of Electronics and Computer Science (EDI), Latvia, Lead researcher, Head of Cyber Physical Systems Laboratory, 2008-2017.
- University of Latvia, Faculty of Computing, Associate Professor, 2008-2011.
- University of Latvia, Faculty of Computing, Assistant Professor, 2007-2008.
- University of Virginia, Associate Researcher, 2005-2007.
- Laurel Networks (ECI Telecom), Sr. Software engineer, 2004-2005.
- University of Pittsburgh, Research assistant and Teaching assistant, 1996-2004.
- Pilot Automotive Labs, Autopilot for aftermarket cars. Member of advisory board. 2016-2017.
- Consulting on technical aspects of self driving cars.
- TechHub Riga, the lead community and co-working space for new technology startups in Riga, Latvia. Mentor.
- Advising on technical issues in the context of startups, including hardware, software, embedded systems, IoT.
- MYM Wand, Founder, Riga, Latvia, 2015.
- Designed a consumer interface device for gesture capture using a "magic wand".
- Well IT, Founder, Berlin, Germany, 2013-2017.
- Mobile IT systems for hospitals with a focus on patient experience.
- AID Networks. Founder and VP of Engineering, Washington D.C. Metro Area, 2007-2010.
- Designed and developed wireless health monitoring devices. Featured by CNN, CBS, Washington Post, Frost & Sullivan Reports.
Projects and Collaboration
- VPP COV-MITIGATE - “Multidisciplinary approach to monitor, mitigate and contain COVID-19 and prevent other future epidemics in Latvia” - led a team that developed UWB based localization system for safe distance tracking. 2020-2021.
- 3-T Project - "New technologies for targeted monitoring, testing and therapy of Covid-19 patients" / "Jaunās tehnoloģijas Covid-19 pacientu tēmētai monitorēšanai, testēšanai un terapijai (3-T Project)" - led a team that developed environmental air quality system and data cloud for mitigating the risks of infection indoors. 2020-2021.
- Staigā vesels - "Healthy walk" - A study of effects of interval training to type 2 diabetes patients with wearable sensors and virtual trainer application. Project lead. 2017-2018.
- HIPPAC - Health and Social Indicators of Participation in Physical Activities for Children with Disabilities, developing wearable technology and strategies for monitoring and motivating children for active lifestyle. Project co-lead. 2015-2017.
- Phaser - Paradigms and testbed for directional communication. University of Iowa.
- GCDC-2 team Latvia for i-GAME project - a semi-autonomous self driving car, with wireless communicating to other vehicles and infrastructure, observing the environment with GPS, Lidar and sensors, and controlling the vehicle for effective and safe driving in smart road environment.
- MansOS – an operating system for wireless sensor networks (WSN) and other resource-constrained embedded systems. MansOS is designed for users familiar with C language and UNIX-like concepts. It offers smooth learning curve for those who have some system programming experience but are new to embedded systems. It is also designed to be highly portable and extendable.
- EdiMote - a platform for prototyping, profiling and debugging embedded systems with Lego-like modularity in mind and features for digital, analog and energy consumption monitoring, recording and replay.
- Ūdeņi stāsta - Daugava - "Stories told by water" - a collaboration with artists, deployment of wireless sensors to river Daugava and exposure of their readings - the stories of the river" to displays and mobile devices.
- TeleMed - Screening methods and models for risk of Type 2 Diabetes and Cardio Vascular diseases. In collaboration with Lattelekom and Stradini Hospital, Latvia.
- SAD - wireless environmental sensor system for precision agriculture in a fruit orchard.
- VieSenTIS - R&D Center for Smart Sensors and Netted Embedded Systems, at Institute of Electronics and Computer Science, 2010-2012.
- MITS - A multimodal sensor, data processing and smart traffic controller hub for Intelligent Transportation Systems, at Institute of Electronics and Computer Science, 2011-2013.
- FarmOS - Software environment and operating system for precision agriculture, at Institute of Electronics and Computer Science, 2011-2013.
- GCDC team Latvia - an intelligent transportation vehicle for Grand Cooperative Driving Challenge. A semi-autonomous car linked to other vehicles and infrastructure via wireless IEEE 802.11p communication, observing the environment with sensors and GPS units, and controlling the vehicle acceleration and brakes for effective and safe driving as a unit in a platoon or individually.
- Information Fusion and Wireless Sensor Networks – distributed systems with real time data and hierarchical information fusion, with University of Skovde, Sweeden, 2008.
- LiteOS – an interactive, UNIX-like, and multithreaded operating system for wireless sensor networks. with University of Indiana Urbana Champaign and University of Minneasota, 2007.
- MEDiSN: a wireless sensor network for monitoring patients’ vital signs in hospitals and disaster events, with University of Maryland, 2008-2009.
- AID-N: The Advanced Health and Disaster Aid Network, with Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Labs, 2006-2007.
- CodeBlue: Wireless Sensor Networks for Medical Care, with Harvard University, 2006-2007.
- Luster: Light Under Shrub Thicket Environmental Research, with Environmental Sciences departments at University of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University, 2006-2007
- AlarmNet: “Assisted-Living And Residential Monitoring Network” - a wireless sensor network for smart healthcare, University of Virginia, 2005-2007
Technical Program Committee member
- EWSN 2023,2022,2021,2020,2019 - International Conference On Embedded Wireless Systems and Networks
- MASS 2022 - IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Smart Systems
- WINSYS 2022,2021 - the International Conference on Wireless Networks and Mobile Systems
- Spatial Cognition 2020 - a member of Spatial Cognition conferences
- RealWSN 2018 - International Workshop on Real-World Embedded Wireless Systems and Networks
- DCOSS 2017,2014 - IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems
- NextMote 2017,2016 - Next Generation Platforms for the Cyber-Physical Internet
- ICCCN 2017,2012,2009 - The International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks
- DAC 2016 - Design Automation Conference
- EWSN 2014,2013,2012 - European Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks
- ICDCS 2014 - International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems
- AICT 2013, 2012 - International Scientific Conference on Applied Information and Communication Technology
- SENSORCOMM 2013,2011,2010,2009 - International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications
- RAMI 2012 - International Workshop on Recent Advances in Medical Informatics
- PerNEM 2012 - Pervasive Networks for Emergency Management
- IEEE NAS 2011 - IEEE International Conference on Networking, Architecture, and Storage
- HealthNet 2008 - International Workshop on Systems and Networking Support for Healthcare and Assisted Living Environments
- DATE 2008 - Design, Automation and Test in Europe
- TOSN - ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (2019,2017,2009,2008)
- IEEE ITS - IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation System (2014)
- BMJC - Baltic Journal of Modern Computing (2014)
- TMC - IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (2011,2010,2009)
- TPDS - IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (2011)
Conference/Workshop General Chair
- NextMote 2017 - Next Generation Platforms for the Cyber-Physical Internet, at EWSN 2017.
- NextMote 2016 - Next Generation Platforms for the Cyber-Physical Internet, at EWSN 2016.
- MITS - Workshop about Multi Intelligent Transportation Systems Point Technology, December 13, 2013, Riga, Latvia.
- Viesentis 6 - Workshop on Smart Sensors and Netted Embedded Systems, December 12, 2012, Riga, Latvia.
- Viesentis 5 - Workshop on Smart Sensors, an event of Science Night in Latvia, September 28, 2012, Riga, Latvia.
- Viesentis 4 - Workshop on Smart Sensors, May 21, 2012, Riga, Latvia.
- Viesentis 3 - Workshop on Smart Sensors and Netted Embedded Systems, December 5, 2011, Riga, Latvia.
- Viesentis 2011-2 - Workshop on Smart Sensors and Netted Embedded Systems, December 5, 2011, Riga, Latvia.
- Viesentis 2011-1 - Workshop on Smart Sensors and Quantum Computing, May 27, 2011, Riga, Latvia.
- Viesentis 2010 - Workshop on Smart Sensors and Biophotonics, October 20, 2010, Riga, Latvia.
- WSNHC 2007 - International Workshop on. Wireless Sensor Networks for Health Care, part of INSS’07 - the 4th International Conference on Networked Sensing Systems - held in June 2007 in Braunschweig, Germany.
- Robotics and embedded systems club at University of Latvia - founder.
- TechHub Riga, a co-working space for product-oriented startups - mentor.
Graduate level courses
- Operating Systems Engineering – University of Latvia, 2009.
- Virtual Environments – University of Latvia, 2008.
- Wireless Sensor Networks – University of Latvia, 2008.
- Advanced Digital Design – University of Latvia, 2008.
Undergraduate level courses
- Introduction to Computer Architecture - University of Latvia, 2022.
- Computer Science II: Data structures – University of Iowa, 2016.
- Introduction to Digital Design – University of Latvia, 2008.
- Digital Signal Processing – University of Latvia, 2008.
- Cyber-Physical Systems – seminar, University of Latvia, 2007.
- Wireless Sensor Networks – University of Latvia, 2007.
- Introduction to Systems Software. The course is an introduction to systems programming concepts and practice. The course involves programming in C in Palm-OS environment. Contributions: Course outline, literature selection, lectures, web pages, software design. University of Pittsburgh, 2003-2004.
- Advanced Digital Design. Students design MIPS CPU using Mentor Tools and implement it on FPGA board connected to a PC. Contributions: website, software for interfacing with the FPGA. University of Pittsburgh, 1997-2002.
- Computer Organization. Computer architecture basics. University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia, 1993-1996.
- Human-Computer Interaction. University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia, 1993-1996.
- Data Visualization. Selected topics on human computer interfaces. University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia, 1993-1996.
Graduate students advised
- Received Doctoral degree: Reinholds Zviedris (2015), Ģirts Strazdiņš (2014), Atis Elsts (2014)
Masters of Science degree graduates
- 2021: Artūrs Laizāns
- 2019: Gusts Kaksis
- 2018: Vilnis Laipnieks
- 2017: Emil Syundyukov, Ksenia Krilatiha, Armands Baurovskis.
- 2015: Jānis Vītoliņš, Rihards Balašs.
- 2014: Jānis Judvaitis (nominee: "best master thesis in IT" in Latvia), Dainis Tillers, Sergejs Voronovs.
- 2013: Andris Bērziņš, Artūrs Kadiķis, Tomass Sizass, Mārtiņš Ceplis, Andris Jansons, Eduards Blumbahs.
- 2012: Andris Stikāns, Ansis Liepkalns, Andrejs Plociņš.
- 2011: Rūdolfs Bundulis, Kārlis Priedītis, Jānis Timma.
- 2010: Māris Brenčuks, Aldis Kotlers, Georgijs Kanonirs, Sandis Miķelsons, Krišjānis Nesenbergs, Rinalds Ruskuls, Ronalds Zarīts.
- 2009: Salvis Beteris, Agris Liepiņš.
- 2008: Ģirts Strazdiņš (winner: "best master thesis in IT" in Latvia), Jānis Ģeņģeris.
Undergraduate students advised
- 2015: Krilathia Ksenija, Karlis Senko, Emil Syndyukov (2nd place: "best bachelor thesis in IT" in Latvia).
- 2014: Rūdolfs Kazimirenoks.
- 2013: Jānis Knets.
- 2011: Dāvis Brediks, Jurijs Grabovskis, Tomass Sizass, Andrejs Vihrovs.
- 2010: Ludmila Vagina.
- 2009: Jānis Timma (3rd place: "best bachelor thesis in IT" in Latvia).
- 2008: Jānis Avotiņš, Gregorijs Kanonirs.
- Attack of the Butterflies, National award nomination for scientists that are the inspiration for better Latvia due to their excellence, passion, mission, and stance, Riga, Latvia, May 2016.
- Entrepreneurial Vision and 2nd Place Awards at S.E.E.D., 4th Annual Spirit of 2007
- Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development National Collegiate Venture Forum. For the proposal and presentation of wireless sensor technology for medical care.
- Third Place in DAC/ISSCC Student Design Contest, Conceptual category, 2004
- SiGe Prototype Chip Design Implementing CMOS Fixed Bit-Load Drivers and Receivers for Next Generation High-Speed Board-Level Interconnect.
- Second Place in Design Contest by 17th International Conference on 2004
- VLSI Design 2004 (VLSI 2004), Mumbai, India, January 5-9, 2004
- Best Graduate Poster Award by Grad EXPO, University of Pittsburgh 2004, 2003
- Annual prize awarded to graduate student for research in cross-disciplinary fields.
- Mellon Pre-doctoral Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh, PA 2002
- Andrew Mellon Fellowships are awarded to students of exceptional ability and promise who are enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh in programs leading to the Ph.D. The fellowship consists of $15,000 stipend plus tuition for one year.
- Best Graduate Poster Award by CS Department, University of Pittsburgh 2002, 2001
- Competition held annually by the department for the best graduate student poster.
- Pre-proposal Graduate Research Award by CS Dept., Univ. of Pittsburgh 2001
- Competition held annually by the department for the best graduate student research.
- Latvian - excellent, native (C2)
- English - excellent (C2)
- Russian - excellent (C2)